The Latest SSLGuard News
Product and Solution Information, Press Releases, Announcements
|MX Logic September Threat Forecast & Report Reveals Alarming Security Trends|
|Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:01:00 AM|
Spam Levels Remain at All Time Highs, While Hackers Turn Up the Heat on Web 2.0 Technologies. MX Logic, the world's largest independent provider of managed email and Web security solutions, today released the September MX Logic Threat Forecast & Report. The monthly report provides information on recent and potential email and Web threats, as well as expert analysis of real time spam and virus events. This month's analysis includes the following highlights.
Forecasted Email and Web Security Threats in September:
- Spam levels will remain at all time highs in September, accounting for more than 9 out of 10 emails delivered.
- Due to the web of trust that users generally have with the people they are connected to on social networking sites, we expect to see an increase in spam and malware disguised as legitimate messages from someone the recipient knows.
- As the U.S. healthcare reform debate continues to heat up, there's a strong chance we'll begin to see more forms of political "hacktivism" targeted at popular social networking sites.
Security Threats/Trends Observed in August:
- Overall spam volume (total number of spam messages) slowed slightly; however, spam levels (percentage of spam versus all email) inched up to 94.9 percent of all email sent.
- The United States continues to hold a slim lead over Brazil as the country that produces the most spam.
- Healthcare remained the most prevalent category of spam.
- Fake UPS or DHL invoices remain the most popular theme to use with malware attached directly to email. In fact, this tactic made up four of the top five malicious email campaigns.